Hey Food Lovers!
I have a dish to share with you!
My husband is Filipino and over the last few years I’ve been treated to delicious meals from this beautiful culture courtesy of my mother-in-law and his family.
One of my all-time favourite dishes is Chicken Adobo. The mixture of sweet and sour flavouring with the chicken is mouth watering! But one of the warnings I received was the fat content was pretty high. You can even see this when the meal is stored in the refrigerator and the fat hardens up so I did my best to find a healthier alternative but to preserve the flavour.
I typically use organic chicken breast for this meal but for the ultimate in flavour, I used drumsticks for this recipe.
To lower the fat, I removed the skin and fat from the chicken.
When served with Basmati Rice, this dish becomes a complete meal. As an alternative I can also use brown rice.
With regards to the flavour I found marinating the chicken overnight was my favourite way to prepare this but, if you’re pressed on time, you actually don’t need to.
Dark meat chicken is really flavourful but I also like to mix it up with organic chicken breast prepared in my slow cooker.
Either way the flavour of adobo is unforgettable!
- 8 skinless organic chicken drumsticks, on the bone
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 small head of garlic, crushed
- 6 ground peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- Marinate the chicken in the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, jalapeño and pepper over night (if pressed on time, 1-2 hours will do).
- Place the chicken, 1/2 cup water, bay leaves and marinade into a deep nonstick skillet and cook on medium-low heat. Cover the dish and cook until the meat is tender for about about 45 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes until the sauce reduces.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve with Basmati rice.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 175 calories
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 27g
If you loved this recipe, I’d love to hear from you by COMMENTING below.
Do you need a healthy nutrition program?
Then get a FREE copy of my 10 Day Busy Mom Meal Plan. We’ll take the guess work out of eating healthy to help you achieve a leaner body and fit into your clothes better. It’s worked for thousands of my clients so I know it will for you.