Now that my son is approaching 2 years old there’s a lot more interactive activities we can do as a family. This seriously excites me because I love watching Jackson experience things for the first time. Those moments are priceless.
…and for me, to feel like a kid again is so incredibly awesome.
It might be tempting to avoid the cold with a movie at home but just know that 30 minutes into the movie the kids will get antsy and there goes your relaxing idea. Plus getting out of the house and moving will get those feel-good-endorphins going and a happy family equals a happy day.
Win, win, win!
Here are some of my favorite activities and ideas for Family Day
This is a wide open area for kids and parents to interact play with all sorts of different balls and run around and be free. My son loves balls and all sports so he goes nuts. There’s also a big pit of balls and a playground with climbing, mazes and slides.
There are Trampoline parks all over the GTA, some familiar ones are Sky Zone and Air Riderz. This is high energy fun family outing! With activities like jumping on wall-to-wall trampolines in a gigantic open space. If you have toddlers I would check out what time the toddler times are. But just a warning – It’s also a killer workout.
There’s something really magical about the under water world. You and your family will get lost in all the colourful fishes and sea creatures. You can see live dive shows and learn more about the animals in their habitat, get up close and personal with three touch exhibits featuring horseshoe crabs and sharks. And my favorite, walk through the North America’s longest underwater viewing tunnel, Jackson couldn’t believe the sharks swimming over him. It’s definitely a cool experience together.
There are many little painting studios popping up and it’s a great activity to get those creative juices going. The Paint Lounge is offering a family creative session to explore colours, paints, and painting techniques and collabotrative art on a big canvas together. You can create a one-of-a-kind masterpiece to take home, how cool is that? The age recommended for children is ages 4-12.
And…if the weather throws a wrench into your plans, I have a few at home fun activities
1. Dance Party
Turn up the music on loud and have dance party. Parents dance with your kids, they’ll get a good laugh at you.
2. Cook or Bake
I’ve started to include Jackson with a few easy things in the kitchen like cookies or chocolate mouse. This is one of my favourites to make – it’s quick, easy and it doesn’t get the kitchen in that much of a mess.
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tbsp
- Honey or Maple Syrup – 1 tbsp
- Blend Avocado in a strong blender with a little water
- let the kids stir in the cocoa powder and honey in until it’s smooth and chocolatey . Eat or lick off the spoons 🙂
Ps. I have a ton more quick, healthy and delicious family friendly recipes too, check out my recipe book
for more inspiration –>
3. DIY Crayons
Now this is a fun idea and I got it from my good friend Sabrina Virdee – Instagram -> @sabrinavirdee
How to Make:
- Remove paper of crayons, new or old.
- Pre heat oven 250 degrees.
- Break the crayons into small pieces.
- Place crayon pieces into a silicon mold of choice, ¾ full. You can get creative here and either just put multiple colours in one, or choose a specific colour scheme (for example – Using all blue and green tones in one mold, and all reds and pinks in another etc.). Also keep in mind the colours you put at the bottom of the mold will be the ones that are shown on the face of the crayon.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 10-12 mins, or until crayons are 90% melted. If you over melt them the wax will separate from the colour, and the crayons will not “colour” properly.
- Place in the freezer for 8-10 mins to harden.
- Colour your heart out.
I hope these ideas have inspired you to get out and try something different this family day.
Family is where life begins and love never ends … so celebrate it together.
I wish you all a happy and loving Family Day!