Keeping our kiddos busy during this quarantine can be quite a task, and that’s putting it lightly. Piquing their interest and engaging them is a challenge I know every parent is feeling in a real way right now.
This post is for the Strong Moms out there doing their best to juggle fitness and health, kids’ play and school, working in- or outside of the home, household duties, and a host of other tasks.
Real life lessons are a great way to engage kids’ brains at the moment, so I’ve created this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe with a healthy twist that you can try at home with your kiddos.
Baking is an awesome tool to both teach and bond with our kids. Try my recipe and let the soothing smell of baking cookies waft through your home and create a lasting, positive quarantine memory.
Give this a go and report back!
1.5 cups rolled oats, light pulverized (or quick oats)
1 cup gluten free baking flour (Bobs red mill)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup non-salted grass-fed butter or coconut oil
1 cup of organic brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place oats into a food processor and blend for 15-20 seconds to lightly pulverize, shredding them into smaller pieces. If you’re using quick cooking oats, omit this step.
- Add oats and the rest of the dry ingredients into a medium size bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together with a hand mixer.
- Add egg and continue mixing. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add vanilla, and mix until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add dry ingredients (everything but the chocolate chips) to wet ingredients, 1/4 cup at a time, mixing on low. Last, fold in chocolate chips. and if you want add in some fun chocolate baking sprinkles.
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, roll dough into ball and slightly flatten between your palms. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven, let cool, enjoy!